This is going to the taxidermist for sure!!

300magman

First off, let me say that I know I have been posting quite a few times lately with stories and pics, and I know that gets old pretty fast...let me assure you that I don't post pics/stories of every yote I get (quite the contrary actually, not too many find their way on this board), I only post the ones with a decent story or something special about the day...so yeah, just wanted to get that out there.

Anyway, today found me back out hunting for deer (with not much success in the a.m.), so I was looking to kill some mid-day time and figured I would make a couple yote stands. My first 2 stands were both blanks, so I decided to just go for a drive, explore, and see what I could find for decent calling spots. I saw an area that looked really promising (beautiful terrain in a small river valley), so I got out my county map, drove to the landowners house and got permission on all his 5000 acres (for those of you who read my post on Wed, I assure you that I asked for both deer and coyote permission this time
lol.gif
).

I started walking through the river valley until I found a nice flat where things opened up a bit, and got myself situated mid-way up the downwind bank. After 7 minutes of calling with snowshoe distress, I see a yote come flying out of the bottom bush and into the flat. At about 100yds, I tried barking, but it wouldn't stop, fortunately, it was on the far side of the creek, and had to stop 35yds out from me to figure out a crossing point (there was a small beaver dam about 20yds downstream from me, but the yote needed a second to find it I think). I dropped it as soon as it paused.

After making my way across the creek on the beaver dam and getting to my prize, I realized that this was absolutely the nicest coyote I have ever shot...really pale, flawless smooth coat, and big! Also, as a bonus, no exit hole (which really matters when shooting a .300 mag like I do), I think this is because I shot it head on...sometimes it doesn't pass through head to tail. After giving it a really good inspection, I decided that this was finally the one I had been searching for to do a full-body mount with, so I took a few pictures, carted the yote back to my truck and headed to the taxidermist. The taxi had a scale, and this yote weighed in at just over 52lbs. The taxi is emailing me a bunch of different pics of mounts he has done in the past, and I'm gonna look em over and pick the one I want in the next few days...if you guys have any ideas of ones you have done or seen before, please let me know as well.

Anyway, this first pic is from my location looking to where the yote came from:

DSC02853.jpg

This is from the yote where it dropped looking back at my location. I was sitting just above the 2 fallen down birch trees:

DSC02854.jpg

And here is a couple pictures of the beauty...I know its basically the same angle, but one is with sun and the other is a bit darker (light cloud rolled in), and you can see that even without the sun its still really nice and pale:

DSC02855.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

Anyway, I'm super happy with this yote and it ends a several year quest for me to find a perfect one to mount...now I just need to find another deer for the wall! As usual, I was using a Ruger M77 .300mag, bog-pod shooting sticks and my FX3.

I promise not to post anymore pics for a while, but thanks for looking and happy hunting!

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great going and thats a nice one for sure. post away, im pretty sure everyone here enjoys reading about successful hunts, and if they dont i do.lol. post away
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: singlecoilBeautiful coyote and large too! Congratulations. +1
Those were my initial thoughts.
How bad did the 300 Mag tear it up?
Purdy coyote for sure, congrats!

Another huge coyote, seems like Canadian Coyotes aren't on the Jenny Craig plan. I'm sure you'll be sneaking in a pix of big deer you'll shoot Sunday morning. Good luck.

Your stories and pics are always nice. Keep them coming, some of us don't have the equipment to post pics. At least you give us something to look at.
That one will make a great mount.

Shayne

300magman--That is one beautiful coyote!!! Probably what we call a true Pale Northern and HUGE too, at 52+ pounds. That's a MONSTER!!!

Keep the stories and photos coming--about every one you bag if you have the time. I never tire of reading the stories and seeing the photos.

Back